LouisiBama Bowl



What do you do with 750 pounds of shrimp, 450 pounds of catfish, 150 pounds of crabmeat, 200 pounds of alligator meat, 20 pounds of butter and enough veggies and spices to fill the back of a pickup truck?

You make gumbo!

John Folse, Bob Baumhower and a team of chefs will attempt to make the biggest pot of gumbo in the world, over 2 tons in one pot. Guinness Book of World Records will be on hand to officiate. And then there's the problem of getting rid of it... but that shouldn't be a problem. Feeding over 10,000 folks gumbo before the football match-up between top-ranked LSU and No. 2 Alabama should get everyone in the spirit.

Billed as the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl, there's also a separate cooking competition for fans with judges including former Alabama cheerleader and actress Sela Ward.

The event will be held outside the Ferguson Center on the University of Alabama campus. Bowls of gumbo will be available for $5 each and proceeds will go to help Tuscaloosa-area charities with tornado-relief work.

Elsewhere in Alabama this weekend, in Gulf Shores - Gulf Coast Oyster Cook-Off - starts at 11AM on Sat at the Hangout with 20 teams featuring oysters cooked every-which-way.


Comments

  1. I would love to be there to see them cook that huge amount of gumbo! And a great cause for the proceeds to go to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryMoh said...
    Hi Drick, it's quite a while since I have not been here. Have not forgotten about you. Have just been busy with cooking and visitors. But I sure came in at through right time for a real BIG shock!! I thought I was in dreamland when I read the first paragraph. Had to read it again to make sure it's real.....haha. That's such a LOT of meat!! Oh my gosh! I hope you take video and put up on your blog here. I would love to see the crazy atmosphere of cooking, serving and eating. How wonderful to go down into the Guinness Book of World RecordMaryMoh said...
    Hi Drick, it's quite a while since I have not been here. Have not forgotten about you. Have just been busy with cooking and visitors. But I sure came in at the right time for a real BIG shock!! I thought I was in dreamland when I read the first paragraph. Had to read it again to make sure it's real.....haha. That's such a LOT of meat!! Oh my gosh! I hope you take video and put up on your blog here. I would love to see the crazy atmosphere of cooking, serving and eating. How wonderful to go down into the Guinness Book of World Record! Wishing all of you all the fun and also becoming famous!! :D I wish I am there to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, oh why does Philadelphia have to be so far away?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased it's for charity. So fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love gumbo!!! This is such a great way to raise money for a charity. I have one question through, who are you rooting for tomorrow night?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got an email this morning about this and immediately thought of you. Looks like a darn fun time. And the money raised is going to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see the pot that all of that gumbo is going to be cooked in. I hope you let us know how the event goes...with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, sounds like a blast and I wish I could be there for that giant gumbo and the game! Hope you take some pics. My hometown is hosting The Giant Omelette Festival, this weekend, and will be making a 5,000 egg crawfish omelette! Have fun, cher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts