Creole Lima Beans8 to 10 servings
- 1 -2 inch piece of salt meat, pickled pork, or 4 slices of bacon
- Oil if needed
- 3 -15 oz. cans Baby Lima Beans (Trappey's brand)
- 1 -15 oz. can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, sauté salt meat in a little oil or the chopped bacon without oil to render fat. Add onions and sauté until light browning occurs on the edges of the onions. Drain off the grease. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions and celery and cook about 30 minutes on med-low heat stirring frequently. Break up the large pieces of stewed tomatoes with a spatula.
Drain and add the canned lima beans. Add about 1/2 cup of water. Add seasonings and continue to cook on a med-low fire about 10 minutes, add a little water if needed and stir occasionally to avoid scorching. Reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook another 30 minutes.