Grandmother's Peach Cobbler

Ahhhh.........fresh peaches for late summer loving


The summer crop of freestone peaches from upstate Chilton County are gone, at least I can't find any but there are still other peaches around. I think I need to catch up with a nice basket of juicy peaches like those grown in upper Alabama.

This is my Grandmother's recipe, one that everyone has in a collection box but every time I make it, it brings back memories and aromas of her kitchen. 

Peach Cobbler

Grandma's summer dessert with sweetie crust

4 cups fresh peaches (5 to 6 medium) -peeled and sliced
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups sugar -divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a shallow, rectangular 3 quart dish place butter and melt in oven. Mix peaches in 1/2 cup sugar, let stand.

Combine in a bowl the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and cinnamon and then add the milk and vanilla. Pour in baking dish over melted butter - do not stir. Spoon peaches on top of batter - do not stir.

Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until center has set and top is golden brown.

Spoon cobbler into bowls and top with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Note: Any fruit in season will be just as enjoyable. Use canned fruit in the wintertime, just drain the fruit and adjust the sugar to about a cup.

Get this recipe and many more in my Grits to Guacamole cookbook, click here.

Comments

  1. Something new to me but looks delicious. Looks like a lot of sugar there. I'll probably use less if I make this...to avoid expanding waistline :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't go wrong with peach cobbler. Yours looks delicious; like true comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Peach cobbler is one of my favorites! Just yuuum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful way to highlight the sweetness of summer peaches. Your grandmother was a wise woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love peach cobbler, I keep trying new recipes, this one is a must try, grandma's are the best arent they! We always know thats tried and true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good! i want to have some now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a fresh peach cobbler. Your grandmother's recipe sounds wonderful Drick. What a treasure. I've got 2 sacks full of fresh peaches right now and was wondering what I'd make with them. I know my husband would not complain if I made this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The peaches we have been getting lately are a bit hard - I wonder if I can do this one with canned peaches?

    Hey, are you on Facebook by any chance? Have I already asked you that? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't think of a better way to enjoy the end of summer, may the memories of yummy peach cobblers remain with us all winter long:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your peach cobbler looks and sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know how I missed this yummy looking cobbler! Looks divine and if it's your grandmother's recipe, then I know it's got to be GOOD! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love any cobbler but grandma's peach cobble, truly a keeper, anything from family is proven, yummy

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow sharing your grandmother's recipe... definitely have to try, thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this yesterday and it was wonderful! My kids (who were iffy about eating peaches) loved it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've used this recipe for years, but lost it in one of my moves. I'm so happy to find it again. This is also wonderful with blackberries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts