Momma's Lumpy Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Southern Made Potatoes

Folks, have made a lot of talk the past few years about comfort food. But what I really think is that it's all about what you grew up eating.  

Take my Momma's mashed potatoes for example.  At first sight, I knew just looking at the bowl of comfort that it was the real deal, that it was not made from a box, it was not instant.  Even today, my preference of mashed potatoes is a bowl full of creamy, buttery and whipped potatoes with just the right amount of small lumps that fills my mouth with comforting gratification. It is a reminder of my youth and to me, that is what comfort food really is all about.


Momma's Lumpy Mashed Potatoes

2 pounds yellow or Idaho potatoes -peeled and quartered
1 1/4 cups whole milk or buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Place potatoes in medium pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch - bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in a colander until dry. Return about half of potatoes to the pot; add milk, butter, salt, and pepper to taste. Whip with a hand mixer or heavy fork until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add remaining potatoes and beat until desired consistency. Place in a covered dish and keep warm.
This is good by itself or with your favorite gravy.  Also great with sautéed onions.

Get this recipe and many more in my Grits to Guacamole cookbook, click here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts