Marinated Braised Roast Beef

Sunday Dinner Idea

Today's dinner inspiration comes from, well, the fact that rump roast is on sale. I decided to treat it with a little more respect than just tossing it into a scorching pot for my regular pot roast or with the suffocating sprinkling of seasoning before shoving the poor thing in the oven. It look so impressive, almost brazen laying out there shamelessly on the counter, so I decided to dignify it by getting it good and well intoxicated before sending it to it’s peril. Here’s how I did it. Enjoy!

Marinated Braised Roast Beef

2 cups dry red wine
3 carrots -chopped
1 medium onion -chopped
1 stalk celery -chopped
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
2 whole cloves
1 -3 to 4 pound bottom round or rump roast of beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup beef broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 -8 oz fresh button mushrooms

Make the marinate combining the first 7 ingredients and pouring over the beef. Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours turning every so often.
Remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve the marinade.
In a Dutch oven or casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the beef and brown on all sides. Pour the marinade into the pot with the beef. Add the beef broth and cover. Simmer on low for 2 to 3 hours adding more water or stock if necessary. Stir in the tomato paste and season with salt. Add the mushrooms, sliced if desired, and simmer uncovered an additional 30 minutes.
To serve, slice the beef into thin slices and plate with the mushrooms. Serve with the sauce and your favorite side dish.

Comments

  1. I am so wanting to eat this right now! except for the onions...allergic...man this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, my kids love beef and u made is sound so simple.. i wonder whether i can cook this successfully or not.. maybe i try this coming weekend... thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure this roast was more than happy to be thoroughly intoxicated! This sounds so flavorful. Perfect for a cool Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiccup... I love red wine with roast beef. My mother made similar recipe, but used fresh tomatoes rather than paste. Never added cloves, I'm going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sure my husband would love this dish!!! he's a beef freak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if I could adapt this one to a crock pot? Looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts