Chicken Marsala

Easy as 1,2,3,4


Not many recipes are remarkable enough in saying it is the best. As with every recipe, and I don’t care how many times you have made them, if you are like me you are going to alter something or another. At least that is the way I cook - always trying to tweak it into something that is better. That’s how this one ended up being called ‘my best’. Maybe I should add ‘yet’. It is also one that I like to prepare after a busy day. Takes forty minutes from start to finish but what I like best is that I can walk away after it is finished and it will be just as good if not better from a low simmering. Enjoy!


My Best Chicken Marsala

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons butter
extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces crimini, porcini or button mushrooms, stemmed and halved
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup cooking sherry
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
chopped flat-leaf parsley if desired

Slice the chicken breasts horizontally to about 1/4-inch thick.

Put the flour in a shallow bowl and stir in the salt, pepper and oregano.

Cover the bottom of a large skillet with the olive oil. Heat over medium-high. When the oil is nice and hot, dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess. Slip the cutlets into the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden, turning once – do this in batches if necessary. Remove the chicken to a large platter in a single layer and keep warm. Drain off the oil.

Lower the heat to medium and add the bacon to the brown bits in the pan, sauté for a few minutes to render out some of the fat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until browned and moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Pour the Marsala and sherry in the pan and boil down for a minute to cook out the alcohol. Add the chicken stock and simmer for a few minutes to reduce the sauce slightly. Stir in the butter and return the chicken to the pan; simmer gently for 1 minute to heat the chicken through. Add more seasonings if needed and garnish with chopped parsley before serving if desired. I normally disolve a little cornstarch with some more chicken stock as a thickener.

Serve with a rice dish or over vermicelli.

Comments

  1. This looks great. I am going to have to try this one! Hope you are enjoying the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very delicious. I would love it with rice and some stir fried vegetables.....yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing a lot of cooking lately with strong wines like sherry, port and madeira. I love the flavors of them in sauces. I'd forgotten all about this recipe, thanks for reminding me, this is going on the table this weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love simple cooking method like this one here! Quite flavourful though. What available here in my kitchen are only rice wine & red wine! So, which one should I use? hehe....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts