Chocolate Pecan Tube Cake

Chocolate Goodness!

I set out yesterday to make a cake. Trust me when I say, never attempt to make a cake in a hurry. My first choice would have been a four-layer Devil's Food cake with a creamy vanilla fluff icing but with limited time, I chose a tube-style cake with chocolate icing and crowned it off with a pecan fudge-like topping. The topping I simply made up in helping the appearance.

I started with my Grandmother's Chocolate Pound Cake recipe. I like it because, well, it is not just a part of my family but because it is so good. Also, it would save time in not having to ice between layers. 

Here's her recipe:

Elsie Lee’s Chocolate Pound Cake


2 sticks butter
1 sticks of oleo (Margarine)
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Cream together the butter and oleo and add the sugar. Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla in a separate bowl. Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and alternating with the egg mixture, beat flour mixture into the bowl. Fold in the pecans and pour into a greased floured tube pan. Bake in a preheated 300 oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until center is done. (Mine tested ready after 1 hour 15 minutes) Let cool before icing.

For the Chocolate Icing:

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Turn off heat and stir in the morsels. Whisk until melted. I placed the pan in a bowl of ice chips and stirred until desired consistency. Ice the cake.

For the Topping:

I did not measure anything. Started with a little cream, added some sugar and stirred over low heat until sugar dissolved. I added about a cup of milk chocolate chips and stirred over low heat until the chocolate had pretty much melted. I added about a cup of toasted chopped pecans and then let it cool down a bit before I spooned this over the top.

Comments

  1. Oh, heavens! Just give me a slice of that cake and a big glass of milk...bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Drick, you are really tempting me to put on more weight! This just looks soooo good I feel like running to my kitchen to make now and then leave for tomorrow to regret for eating too much LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe you used to say you're not a baker!! That's nuts, because this look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby that screams love!! OMG !! Yummy, great recipe!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts