Avocado Gorgonzola Salsa


Envy Green for a Reason

Avocados are so darn good and for a reason. Almost sinfully good. Almost too good.
I remember many times on our trips to Mexico, ordering fresh salsa and most times made fresh right there at our table. The server would mix together fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, avocado, garlic - what ever type of salsa you wanted - and it would always be so darn delicious and wonderfully good, almost sinfully good.
That's what I thought when I saw this recipe - too good to be true; too good to be real. But, folks, it's the real deal. It's one of those just like in Mexico only you can make up most of it ahead of time, give it time to meld together and right before serving, fold in the avocado and Gorgonzola. This one has to be eaten within a couple of hours after adding the avocado as there is no acid other than the vinegar. But don't worry, that's plenty of time to consume this wonderful salsa. Enjoy!

Avocado Gorgonzola Salsa
makes 2 cups
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 red onion, diced
2 Serrano chiles, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 large avocado, chopped
    In a bowl, combine everything but the Gorgonzola and avocado. Let stand at least 1 hour for the flavors to develop. Fold in the Gorgonzola and avocado just before serving.
    Note: the avocado turns brown within 1 or 2 hours, so use all of the salsa promptly.
    From the cookbook by George Geary - 500 Best Sauces, Salad Dressings, Marinades and More

    Comments

    1. sounds terrific Drick love the flavors in this salsa!~ Oley~

      ReplyDelete
    2. I don't believe I've ever had gorgonzola in my salsa, that sounds SO interesting and flavorful!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Avocado and cheese? I have to try this soon.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Drick...thanks for sharing this recipe...at times just don't know what to do with the avocado and this is a keeper for sure :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Wow, I know already that I am going to love this recipe! I am bookmarking it immediately.

      ReplyDelete
    6. great slasa..I could avocado every day, breakfast,lunch and dinner...
      sweetlife

      ReplyDelete
    7. Oh wow... I wouldn't dare waste a bite of that! Looks fantastic!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Excellent salsa recipe. I haven't seen one like this yet! I love it.

      ReplyDelete
    9. this sounds absolutely divine! I love gorgonzola and avocado, so this seems like the perfect combination! thanks so much for sharing!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts