Tomato Salsa for Canning


My favorite salsa


Not only because it is my recipe, this one is a little sweet and is wonderful with so many foods. That is what I like about it. With the added sweetness, it just brings a nice, pleasant taste to your palate with just enough heat all surrounded in a thick and rich tomato sauce.

I make this just about every year. That’s how much we eat it. In fact, year before last, we doubled the recipe. During a drive back from Tennessee, we stopped and bought a couple of baskets of Sand Mountain tomatoes, rich red and almost ripe. They were juicy, sweet and I knew they were meant for my salsa. When I got to going in the kitchen, I realized I didn’t quite have enough, so I added several cans of diced canned tomatoes. I really could not tell the difference that year. If you like your salsa saucy hot, add more peppers. I sometimes add in a few pickled jalapeños at serving time.

Yes, it is great as a dip. We have a hard time not eating a whole jar in one sitting. It is a great addition to anything you would normally use a Picante type salsa in and because it is a little sweet, it blends perfectly well with all kinds of meats and vegetables. It is a very good table salsa.

This is the last of the canning recipes for this week folks but I saved the best for last. Enjoy!


Tomato Salsa

yields about 8 pints

8 cups peeled, chopped & drained tomatoes
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped jalapeño and or Serrano peppers
6 to 8 garlic cloves -minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons canning salt
1/3 cup sugar, less if tomatoes are sweet
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 -15 oz can tomato sauce
1 -12 oz can tomato paste
    Mix ingredients in a large pot and bring to a slow boil. Skim off any foam. Taste and adjust peppers if needed. Some folks may want it a little hotter (I have added a jar of pickled jalapeños with success). Simmer for 10 minutes. Spoon into pint jars leaving 1/2-inch head-space. Add lids and seal for 15 minutes using water bath method for canning.

    From my family cookbook Grits to Guacamole 

    Comments

    1. This looks really delicious. Would be fun to try. I have so far used tomatoes mainly in soup and sometimes stir fries. I'm sure it's lovely served with many things. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh my the endless things I can do with these...great post Drick~

      ReplyDelete
    3. Drick..this tomato salsa looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe. You are so generous in sharing good recipe :))

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love this! I have never tried canning, but this sounds great!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I enjoyed your entire series of canning recipes and your tomato salsa looks great, thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    6. So good. Alas our tomato days are finally over.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Um... this is awesome. I tried to buzz it twice, but "the machine" seemed to see right through my scheming.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts