Calico Pickled Salad


Summer in a jar

Not to be confused with the Italian American relish Giardiniera which is similar, this salad in a jar is something we grew up eating. Pickled vegetables in a mildly seasoned vinegar base makes for a nice condiment, relish or side to many foodstuff. Depending on the types of vegetables used this salad like giardiniera is eaten as an antipasto before a meal, as a side with a meal, a topping for sandwiches or hoagies or as we often did, right out of the jar.

Now I have a confession, I have not made this in a long time. This recipe is from my family, a combination of sorts, and the basis is from one with the same name in my cookbook. I have added a few other ingredients from other family members which I think makes for a better mix, for family sake, of course. Enjoy!


Calico Pickled Salad
 
4 to 6 cups cauliflower florets
1 to 2 cups sliced green beans, yellow wax beans, sliced zucchini or sliced radishes
1 cup pickling onions, 1/2-inch -peeled
2 cups green or red peppers -chopped
2 cups carrots -sliced
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 quart vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 garlic pods, chopped
1 tablespoon fennel seed
2 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons celery seed
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
    Combine vegetables in a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss. Cover with ice, let stand for 3 hours, then rinse under cold water washing thoroughly. Drain well. Combine remaining ingredients in stockpot. Bring to boil, add vegetables and simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Distribute into hot jars leaving quarter-inch headspace. Fill with additional vinegar if needed. Be sure to remove air bubbles. Process jars in a water bath for 10 minutes to seal properly.

    Comments

    1. Hey Drick hope you had a nice vacation...love the crisp fresh pickled veggies here... sounds like a wonderful recipe. Glad your back in the grove again! have a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I always love these with sandwiches. Thanks for the post, now I can make them my self.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Drick, I like just about anything that is pickled. But, this looks more like something that I would love! My brother-in-law recently turned me on to his sweet pickled tomatoes. I'm trying to get the recipe out of him! ;)

      ReplyDelete
    4. This is one of my mom's favorite things to eat. Question, did you fill pints? How many does this recipe make? This is going on my list of things to can this fall.

      ReplyDelete
    5. my wife loves giardiniera, I need to make this for her!! thanks so much for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I love this...but I must say I have never pickled anything myself. I know I should give it a try and this recipe sounds great.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Pickled vege is so refreshing and a great addition to the pantry.

      ReplyDelete
    8. You grew up eating good! My mom made something similar to this, maybe I should dig up the recipe! I love pickled vegetables, another great way to enjoy veggies and eat healthy:-)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Thanks everyone..
      @Kristen ... I think at 12 cups of chopped vegetables you should get about 6 pints...

      ReplyDelete
    10. YUM! I love all briny things! You are speaking my language!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Lovely color, fresh pickles brighten what would otherwise be a boring plate. It's fun to have a recipe that says use what you have. Thanks for a great post.

      ReplyDelete
    12. here in texas we have something similar with cauliflower and carrots but seasoned with jalapeno and vinegar, it is served along side a botano, love them..great recipe

      sweetlife

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts