King Cakes at Mardi Gras

Fun facts about
Mardi Gras


What does it mean if you find the baby in the king cake? To understand what the fuss is about, you must first know what a king cake is I guess. And who better to explain than my good friend Ryan Boudreaux known to all as Cajun Chef Ryan. This is what he posted last year:
  "The typical King Cake is an oval or round shaped dough which is formed from a yeast risen sweet dough similar to cinnamon roll or Danish dough. Recipes vary from bakery to restaurant to grocery, but the basic King Cake dough is laced with lots of cinnamon and sugar and topped with icing and then sprinkled with tinted sugars of purple, green and gold. Many variations of fillings are available also depending on the shop, but some of my favorite fillings are cream cheese, raspberry, lemon, cherry, blueberry and my all time favorite is my chocolate filled King Cake. Inside each king cake is a small plastic baby, which the baker gently hides after it is baked and cooled."


Find Ryan's complete article including the history of the king cake here.

Chef Ryan's King Cake recipe and article on Twelfth Night (plus his updated 2011 version recipe) .
Marguerite's (Cajun Delight) King Cake recipe.


Read the article by Matt Cuthbert from Al.com about the meaning of finding the baby and to find recipes including a gluten free one and cupcakes too.

And here are more recipes supposedly by John Folse, Kit Wohl, the Times-Picayune, John Besh ... all from Mr. Lake's Nonpompous Food Forum ... (no lie).... the Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum... Enjoy!
 

HAPPY MARDI GRAS YA'LL


Comments

  1. I tried a king cake last week, but it ended up as a giant cinnamon roll. I need to try a new recipe and see what I end up with. It sounds like such a fun tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous you get to have all the fun, and eat such fabulous foods... I love this king cake...have a great time will miss you in the blogging world but hope your having a fabulous time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article by Matt Cuthbert. We are able to enjoy King cake at work as one of our co workers is from New Orleans and he always brings some in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Mardi Gras is just around the corner, and I already have a few orders lined up this year. One for a birthday party, and another for the local high school French Club!

    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hard to believe that it's that time of year again, already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drick, good article by Matt Cuthbert….we are treated to King Cake at work as one of our coworkers hails from New Orleans . He always brings a treat in during Mardi Gras. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been eating way too much King Cake! And I got the baby at the last party, so you know what that means? Thanks for the kind mention and have fun, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had king cake before. It looks so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't even heard of this before! What a cool tradition...I would love to try this out someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was FIFTEEN degrees BELOW zero here last night. It's hard to believe that Mardi Gras is around any corner. The King Cake looks perfectly extravagant for any celebration.

    Thanks for all the connections.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to mardi gras one time and I have been wanting to return ever since! Yay king cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no - it's crept up one me and I'm not ready. Mardi Gras cooking, here I come! I remember the cake from last year! Enjoy the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy mardi gras!! i need to go to at least one mardi gras. sounds and looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mardi Gras is on my bucket list and I have long wanted to make a king cake. Perhaps this is the year! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all things relating to Mardi Gras...I think it's in my blood :) I know it is coming up and know I will find the goods here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the fun facts!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts