Buttery New Potatoes with Parsley

Delightful, easy 
& darn-right pleasing

There are times when we need a fancy side dish for a meal, something that's not a fuss and one that is compatible whatever other sides are gracing the table. There are times I like to prepare two potatoes dishes, for holidays and big crowds, when company's coming, for versatility just in case. 

No matter how fancy the occasion, there is always room for good, basic side vegetable dishes like this one. And the thing I like about this type of cooking, as my Aunt Ida once said, "Hon, it don't matter it you put it in porcelain or plastic, long as it's fine, that's all that matters."

I say, sometimes sticking to the simple, pleasing recipes are why these side dishes get eaten first. Enjoy!

Buttery New Potatoes with Parsley
about 4 servings
- double or triple recipe as needed

8 small new potatoes
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and cover well  with water. Remove potatoes and bring water to a boil. Add salt as desired and carefully add potatoes to boiling water. By bringing the water to a boil first, small new potatoes will cook even, otherwise, starting with cold water, the outside will become overdone before the middle is tender.

Cook potatoes until fork tender testing after 15 minutes or so depending on how small the potatoes. Drain water and return potatoes back to the burner on low heat to dry potatoes for a couple of minutes. Remove potatoes and add the butter.

Slice potatoes while hot. When butter has settled, toss in the potatoes, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to coat, cover and keep warm.

Comments

  1. Yum. Yum! One of the absolute best side dishes that goes with almost any entree. I'd love to have some freshly dug tiny little red potatoes to make this with right now. Fresh out of the dirt, they have an earthy taste that just can't be beat. Good one, Drick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great side dish. I do love potato dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drick, what a nice side…simple and classed up with some parsley.

    I was about to try your braised ribs this week and the grocery store did not have any beef ribs. So I grabbed pork ribs. Then I looked over the recipe and realized that no way, I needed to wait for the beef ribs – otherwise, it won’t be your southern bourguignon. So, that recipe is still on deck for the next grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! So, check out my latest post - I did a little shout out to you and this recipe! Enjoy!

    http://kitchengroovy.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-dinner-blog-cop-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great...still trying to figure out my Easter menu and your potatoes are in the running!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love potatoes and the buttery parsley coated will be perfect for my lamb on Easter Sunday! Looks wonderful... how are you? Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Aunt Ida was right! And these potatoes sure look fine and scrumptious! Perfect for Easter, if only I were cooking. lol Yes, my getaway is for pleasure, as it always is in Destin. Have a Happy Easter, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must know me by now, Drick. This is my kind of eating—simple but delicious. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at butter. : )
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Drick - just wanted to let you know I got tagged yesterday on an Easter post so I posted mine today and tagged you. You may not have time to respond but I wanted you to know you're one of my favorites!! Happy Easter, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. how could you ever go wrong with potatoes, and then you said the magic word....butter!!!!

    Hope you have a wonderful Easter my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that simple is often better...especially when there is a big meal to prepare. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Butter and more butter :) Great potato dish that I would be more than happy to have as a main dish...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday;-)
    I would most definitely eat this side dish first;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plastic. Glass. Porcelain. WHO CARES.... THIS IS AMAZING!!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious and so easy! Thank you! I'm not much of a cook but I have my uncle coming over for dinner. Going to make these for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts