Pickled Asparagus Recipe - Canning made easy

Spicy Green Sticks

A while back, as I prepared for dinner a casserole of Country Asparagus au Gratin, I quickly decided to put away a jar of pickled asparagus with the remaining spears. Refrigerator pickles are so easy to make. Once you have the necessary spices, and most kitchens do, all it really takes is a few more ingredients, including whatever the intended pickling vegetable will be.

In less time than it takes to bake the casserole, the jar of asparagus is cooling down on the kitchen counter awaiting the rest period in the fridge. It really is that easy folks. Now I tested these after a couple of days as most cucumber pickles are ready overnight or at least after two days. To me, the spears were slightly pickled but not to the point where I thought they should be. I checked them after seven days and they were perfect, out-of-sight in fact and were exactly what I wanted. Just enough sweetness to balance out the heat and with a nice, sharp edgy taste from the brine and easily handling the delightful flavors of the spices. If you like tangy, sweet-heat pickles, this is a recipe for you....  Enjoy!

Pickled Asparagus
for each quart jar

1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1/4 sweet onion, sliced vertically
2 lemon slices
1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, julienne
2 small bay leaves (omit if your pickling spice contains bay leaf)
2 tablespoons minced prepared garlic, drained
2 tablespoons pickling spice

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons canning salt
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup distilled water
1 cup white vinegar

Arrange the washed spears loosely in the quart jar so that the tips are 1-inch below the rim. Arrange the lemon sliced around the outer edge and add the onions randomly. Pack more spears as tight as you can.

In a saucepan, add remaining ingredients and heat until boiling. Stir until sugar and salt dissolves. Pour mixture into the jar leaving 1/2-inch head space. Be sure to spoon all of the spices into the jar and top off with additional vinegar if needed. Allow contents to cool to room temperature. Tighten with lid and refrigerate for4 to 7 days; the longer, the more intense the flavor.

Note: Easy to can too, just process in a water bath for 5 minutes to seal lids.

Comments

  1. Interesting just when I thought I will never try asparagus again you come up with something that may make me love it! this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried pickled asparagus a few times, and thought it blah, as in boring and mushy. This looks great...lots of flavor and not overly processed. A must-try for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds terrific! Never get tired of asparagus.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! I'm sure the pickled asparagus tastes incredibly good and the presentation is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I are trying our hand at canning and pickling this year (ever done it - terrified I will kill someone). I think this is the perfect way to start - bearing in mind that I don't know what a "water bath" is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea how long these will stay good for?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I never thought about picking asparagus but now that you mention it, I like the idea a lot! Those spices must give them a real kick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pickled asparagus! These sound amazing, I need to give these a
    try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these and added red,green, orange bell peppers. They are the bomb!!! Loved them. Even used the small snapped ends that I didn't want to throw away and canned them also for a mini appetizer. Delish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts