Boneless Chicken Thighs a la Drick

The secret is the mushroom caper sauce mingling with the spices.

Y'all know what I do, I mean here, on this site. Many of the recipes I like to share with you are steeped in traditional cookery centering on our locale, it's history and lore. The ones from my kitchen, ones that are mine, well, sometimes I get a little inventive but that is what I do. I am a recipe writer. Now, most of the time coming up with a post title is the easiest part of it. The one today I suppose reflects a bit of me; southern fried with a refined Creole flair. Actually the recipe is more like 'lightly sautéed, French Basque'. But the south is full of a little bit of everything, a melding pot of all who entered into Mobile Bay by first Prince Madoc ab Owain Gwynedda (Madoc) from Wales back in the early 1170’s and later Desoto of Spain who battled the Mobilla (Mobile) Indians. Oh yeah, the French later arrived and made somewhat peace with the locals.



This recipe is so easy to make and the chicken comes out so delectable. It is made in one pan which is what I like most about cooking a la Drick, (pardon my own praising but this one is really good folks). It also uses my Butcher's Rub that I like to use on pork, beef, seafood as well as poultry but secretly, if you take a look at the ingredients, you can just sprinkle a little right out of your spice cabinet. Don't over do it on the salt as the capers are very salty. Now, get out that pan and get to cooking one of the best chicken meals ever. Enjoy!

Sautéed Thighs with Mushroom Caper Sauce
3 servings (2 thighs ea)

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 tablespoons of my Butcher's Rub, divided
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons margarine
1 large shallot, sliced
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 ounce dry sherry
1 tablespoons small capers

Remove as much fat as you can from the thighs, rinse under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Lay flat on pan and sprinkle lightly with half of the Butcher's Rub. Flip thighs over and season top side with remaining rub. Allow to set for 15 minutes.


Heat a skillet over medium high heat and when hot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté three of the thighs for 1 minute. Turn thighs and cook another minute. All you want to do is sear the meat and adhere the rub to the surface. Drain and place on a warm plate. Continue cooking remaining thighs adding the other oil.


In the same skillet, add the margarine and allow to cook out the water content. Add the shallot and mushrooms sautéing for 5 minutes. Stir in the sherry and simmer for 3 minutes.

Add chicken thighs and spoon the mushroom mixture on top of the chicken. Top with the capers and reduce heat to very low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.


Serve over brown rice, a pilaf, pasta or couscous.

Comments

  1. I would love to be a guest at your table.. the rub is superb and I love dark meat so thes thighs are perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great combination of flavors! And you really do need to think about mass marketing that butcher's rub....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another for the "Drick file" - these look excellent. I tried making croutons, using your recipe, and they turned out well. Sadly, the camera was charging but I plan to get a photo with my phone later. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my - this does look wonderful. Saved - those mushrooms, the capers - and Wales? Really? Had no idea. The lore is a varied and delicious as the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drick, there is nothing about this recipe I don't love! Can't wait to try it, I am thinking dinner tonight!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mushroom caper sauce sounds divine. I could stuff myself stupid on this!

    That's a shame about your tomatoes. My dad told me his crop is pretty much ruined with all of the rain they've been getting in NOLA. So far mine are holding up (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to share this recipe Drick - I love the simplicity, yet it's packed with flavor. I've been a convert to chicken thighs recently. I love the flavor so much better, and they are much moister than chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking! Days later, and I'm still thinking about mushroom caper sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As one of the top-viewed links from last week, you and this delicious dish will be featured at tonight's See Ya In the Gumbo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen Harison10/24/2012 4:40 PM

    I made this over the weekend. I made your rub first (couldn't find the dehydrated bell pepper), and then used it on the thighs.

    I had bought an 8 oz package of mushrooms, so I used the whole package. I doubled the margarine and the sherry, consequently. I did not double the capers or shallots, mostly because I only bought one shallot. I was afraid doubling the capers would change the flavor too much, so I didn't.

    Anyway, once again a delicious Drick's recipe. I served it over rice with roasted asparagus, and once again, we ate it all.

    Next recipe to try is the pork roast and sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cooked this tonight. The flavor is amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

    Jose from New York, US

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this tonight. It was delicious. Followed directions as indicated. Served with chicken fried rice and green beans. Since there is only two of us. I have enough for lunch tomorrow, yum. This is a keeper. Thanks for posting.

    DeeDee from Atlanta, Georgia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts