September 1, 2009

Strange Cake? You tell me.

There are many strange and peculiar recipes floating around on the Internet. And many good foods come from such ideas. My sister emailed me a few cake recipes last week and scrolling down the list, I came upon one with the strangest ingredient for a cake. The recipe came from her husband’s family, (do not try to read between the lines) as so many good ones have before this one. Peculiar ingredient for a cake, I thought - who would have ever thought of using such and why in the world would they?
Then my good friend, Carol Egbert posted a recipe using another odd ingredient in her cake called, Patty Pan Squash Cake. She said it was of my urging. I think I do remember mentioning it but my curiosity was originally of her squash pickles. So, I began to think twice of my sister’s mother-in-law’s cake and decided to put it out here for your comments. I know I would love Carol's cake but I don't know about this one. Tell me what you think.  

Marie’s Sauerkraut Cake 

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
1 cup milk
1 cup water

Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar; add eggs - one at a time, mixing well in between. Add sauerkraut and mix well. Add dry ingredients; alternating with milk and water.
Bake in a 11 x 9 x 3 pan that has been greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cake cool.  

Glaze:
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. corn syrup

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a quick boil, stirring. Spoon over cake while glaze is still hot.
-the photo is what I imagine it would look like before icing, you think?

Note: After comments and a discussion with my sister, the recipe comes from a German community in Texas.

3 comments :

  1. So is this a German thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me - sauerkraut and chocolate..it's out there for you to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might like it, I love to try new things! It might also have been good with the sauerkraut with caraway and added apples. Just brainstorming. I make an apple and caraway quick bread thats really good

    ReplyDelete