Camp Stew

The birth of my camp stew yearning

Our farm was a good fifteen or twenty minutes, depending on who was driving, out side of town or the city as we called it. You know, as in ‘I’m going in to the city’ and our main street was just long enough that if you caught all stop-lights, you could easily get from downtown to the uptown courthouse in about five minutes. You could walk it in ten.

Now, just further up the road from our house into the next county was a BBQ joint, and I call it this in the greatest appreciation for fine BBQ establishments, called the ToChMo, named aptly for the owners three sons, Tony, Chuck and I think Mobry. I remember it having the best fried onion rings to this day and the BBQ was pretty darn good too. On many afternoons, as the season changed to late autumn, we would venture up that road and grab a BBQ sandwich, a big platter of those onion rings and a nice big bowl of camp stew. For those who are unfamiliar with this type of stew, it is the best in turning leftover BBQ meats along with a few vegetables into a scrumptious belly-filling experience. On such cool afternoons and evenings, there is nothing better in warming you up all the way down to your toes.

Now many of you know I pretty much save leftover meats, stocks and as mentioned just last week, small fillets of fish. It‘s the way I was brought up. Now if you have a few bags or containers hanging around the freezer from the summer’s cookouts, then this recipe is for you. If not, then you should have saved those small pieces just for this type of good eating. Enjoy!

Camp Stew

2 to 3 cups finely chopped BBQ chicken
2 cups finely chopped pork roast
1 -14.5 oz can petite or shoe peg corn, drained
1 -15 oz can petite cut tomatoes, undrained
1/3 to 1/2 cup Worcestershire
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan over low heat, mix all together and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. That’s it!

Note: Camp stew and Brunswick stew are altogether different types of dishes and if I remember, I’ll post my recipe for Brunswick a little later.

Comments

  1. I'm a big proponent of leftovers, too. This looks like a great way to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very delicious. What do you eat that with? I would probably just go with noodles or rice. My soup are usually clear and light. So, I'm learning some thick soup from you here, and also how not to waste....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drick, that is a wonderful stew soup...the pork roast and BBQ chicken is enough to die for :)) I can imagine in my mind, its taste and flavor..yum yum thanks for sharing this recipe with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stew sounds delicious! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of this recipe. It reminds me of a little bit of something we call Swamp Gravy down in South Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely story! Btw, is that your town area? Looks really quiet. And the soup sounds fantastically well. Thanks!
    p/s what is Worcestershire?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts