Greek Stuffed Chicken

I stumbled across a recipe a while back by Judy at Easy and Tasty Food and I liked it so much, I thought I would do it myself. Of course, since recipes are only guidelines as someone mentioned last week, I took my usually liberty of adapting it my way. A few additions of ingredients, another whole way of cooking it and well, by the time I finished, I don’t really think it was any thing like Judy’s but I still want to give her the credit. So here it is and the photo is from her site too sans tomatoes and noodles - darnest thing - I didn’t take a picture!

Greek Stuffed Chicken

~ with spinach & Feta over noodles
6 servings

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 4 ounces each
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 onion, diced
5 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 -14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes with onions, drained
1/2 cup white wine
1 package narrow width egg noodles, cooked & drained (if desired)
1 lemon, sectioned

Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Combine spinach, onion and 1/2 cup feta cheese; spoon down the center of each chicken breast half. Fold chicken over filling and secure with toothpicks. Combine the flour, oregano, salt, pepper and coat the chicken.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on all sides. Discard toothpicks. Place chicken in a greased shallow 3-quart casserole dish. Top with tomatoes, wine and remaining feta cheese.

Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and cheese melts. Serve over noodles if desired and with a squeeze of lemon.

Comments

  1. Wow, I'm learning Greek recipe today! Cool! This is something light and easy. Love the way you stuffed the chicken. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny - I'm planning to make a Greek shrimp dish tonight! Drick - we were separated at birth I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious.Looks like time for me to learn Greek food too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts