Roasted Garlic Salsa



A recant for tomato woes

Okay, I know I said yesterday the tomatoes in the produce aisle didn't really have much taste. Well, the Romas taste pretty darn good. And that's a good thing.

Nice and juicy, bright and red, full of flavor. Just the way a tomato should be and perfect for making salsa. This recipe is a great one folks, it uses the best in roasting the garlic, and I also added the onion, to really bring out a wonderful flavor.

Some would take it a bit further and roast all the vegetables but I like to leave the tomatoes and peppers natural. Oh, add the limejuice if you want, some say it turns bitter after a few days. Ha! Who said any will be left! Enjoy!

Salsa for Garlic Lovers
 
1 large yellow onion, finely minced
1 large head of garlic, peeled & minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 tomatillos, husk removed and finely chopped
6 to 8 large ripe Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 or 2 jalapeños or Serrano peppers, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh limejuice
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
    Toss the onion and garlic with the oil and spread on a rimmed baking pan. Place in a preheated 425 degree F. oven for 15 minutes or until roasted slightly. Remove to a bowl and toss with the tomatillos. Let cool.

    Stir in the tomatoes and peppers. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate if there are any leftovers.

    Note: Some folks like me enjoy a juicy salsa, if so, add the juice from the tomatoes. Whether you de-seed the tomatoes is up to you, I don’t mind them one bit. To make salsa cruda, do not roast the garlic or onions as everything should be ‘raw’.

    Comments

    1. Oh yes make this kind often, my family loves it, and the lime just made it better yum nice one~

      ReplyDelete
    2. this salsa looks positively delicious!! roasting the onions and garlic must really enhance the flavors greatly adding a little sweetness to the salsa
      thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh my this sounds good. I love making my own salsa but never thought to roast the garlic. Great idea!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I always make the raw kind, but I'm going to have to try this. Looks delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    5. The more garlic the better. I bet no vampires love me

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh....


      My....


      Lord...


      You're speaking to me with this dish. I hope you know that!

      ReplyDelete
    7. I love garlic, especially when roasted. It adds so much to the dish, and this looks really good!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts