Squash Soufflé


Yellow Summer Squash
the little pumpkin cousin

Call it what you like, I grew up calling it good eating. My favorite and simple way to prepare summer squash is to slice it thin and sauté it with a little butter, onion, salt and black pepper and of course, with a little bacon. I also make a mean squash casserole, one that my momma taught me.

Now don’t think it is too late to plant seedlings of summer squash. It can be planted up until 8 weeks before the first expected fall frost and bush types do well in containers. Most summer squash require 45 to 50 days to maturity. So if you want some, get to planting.

Crookneck type
Early Yellow Summer Crookneck variety (classic open-pollinated crookneck; curved neck; warted; heavy yields)
Sundance variety (hybrid; early; bright yellow, smooth skin)
Straightneck type
Early Prolific Straightneck variety (standard open-pollinated straightneck, light cream color, attractive straight fruit)
Goldbar variety (hybrid; golden yellow; upright, open plant)

Ideally, harvest summer squash at 6 to 8 inches in length. The most important characteristic to remember is that summer squash is best when immature, young and tender. Place squash unwashed in plastic bags in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator. Wash the squash just before preparation. As with most vegetables, water droplets promote decay during storage. The storage life of summer squash is brief, so use within two to three days.

Now here’s another recipe I like to prepare this time of year. Simple squash goodness. Enjoy!

Squash Soufflé
 
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup mashed yellow squash (about 3 or 4 parboiled in salted water)
4 eggs, separated
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour stirring until well blended. Add the milk and cook until thick. Remove from heat. Add salt. Beat the eggs yolks and temper into the pan. Fold in the mashed squash.
    Beat the egg whites to a stiff stage. Fold into the squash mixture. Pour into a buttered ring mold or baking dish. Set into a pan of hot water and bake for 1 hour in a 350 degree F. oven. Serve at once.

    Comments

    1. I just love squash and this souffle' sounds divine! Also love your green bean recipe! Tis, the season! Enjoy!

      ReplyDelete
    2. So easy and actually a perfect side dish with pork chops yummy!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Give me this and some of those beans and squash with a piece of fried chicken or country fried steak and I'm a happy, happy girl! This is exactly the same way that I make a squash souffle, Drick. My Mama makes it like this, too, but will often add a cup or so of grated sharp cheddar cheese. That's good, too!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks Marguerite and Claudia

      @Lana - oh yes, you're talking my language, that makes me a happy boy too ... I often add the cheese with a little grated onion in the souffle as well...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Mmmmm. Love me some squash. Thanks for the souffle recipe; it looks perfect for summer.

      I just wanted to let you know I left you an award over on my site this morning. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and read about your delicious dishes!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh yes. I still have these at the farmers market. hats off to anyone that does souffle!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Gosh....I don't know if I pressed the wrong button just now when I commented. Never mind, I'll comment again. Must be age factor...LOL.

      I love squash stir fried with eggs or anchovies or even made as a soup. It has a natural sweetness of it own. I didn't know that a squash plant look like that....poor me! Sorry, my farming knowledge is real bad :(

      ReplyDelete
    8. A souffle is a great way to impress friends and family at dinner, I never thought of making a squash souffle. thanks

      ReplyDelete
    9. Love summer squash! Ours is blooming in the garden.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hi Drick, Do you steam or sauté your squash before you mash it for this recipe? It sounds good, I've obviously never made it before!

      ReplyDelete
    11. This looks fantastic. We planted this for the first time and I am blown away by the amount of squash we will be contending with in a few weeks! This will be the perfect remedy.
      -Laura :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. The souffle sounds marvelous, but I'd really like to get my hands on those squash blossoms!

      ReplyDelete
    13. yeah we have a lot of these right now in farmers market. love the idea of souffle. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    14. I never think of doing something like this! Sounds great and easy. I'll have to try it.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I love squash, and this is another perfect way to enjoy it, I would aslo add some cheese, great pic.

      sweetlife

      ReplyDelete
    16. What a terrific idea! Nothing like a "healthy" souffle!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Can you believe as much as I love yellow squash - particularly fried - I have never made a squash souffle? That is a crime, if not a sin! This just sounds so good.

      ReplyDelete
    18. I adore this! In my figuring out the garden situation at our new house, I realized I have a squash plant! Now I only have to do some TLC to get the sucker to produce! Once she does.. this is the FIRST thing I'm making :-)

      ReplyDelete
    19. Sounds like a great way to enjoy summer squash! And I totally agree: eat them when they're young and tender!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts