Vidalia Onion Pie


Southern Truffles

First of all, I want to apologize to all who do not have access to these southern gems. Though this produce is shipped widely throughout the states, many of you will never know the reward of this sweet, succulent allium. Vidalia onions have a trademark and are easily identified by the Vidalia sticker on each onion. Of course, its taste is proof alone. I can eat one almost like an apple, just peel and enjoy; it is that sweet.

Vidalia’s are only grown in twenty southeast Georgia counties. The area’s sandy, low sulfur soil, exclusive seed varieties, and precise farming practices make this original sweet onion mild and flavorful. Farmers in the 1930s were disappointed with results from traditional row crops like cotton and tobacco. Looking for a new “cash cow,” they planted onions. Imagine their surprise when the fledgling crop turned out sweet instead of hot like regular onions.
There are other sweet onions like Washington’s Walla Walla, the Supasweet from Texas and Hawaii’s Maui. I have tasted the first two and in my opinion, they do not come close to the sweetness of a Vidalia. In the winter months, I find the South American sweet onions to be useful although the water content is much higher and it tends to be grainy.

I love to grill Vidalia onions on the grill by slicing off the top, peeling off the outing thin skin and scooping out a small cavity in the center. Add a tad of salt and pepper, a pat of butter and give it a wrap in foil. Grill for about 30 minutes. (I also like to pour about a quarter cup of beer into the foil pouch too.)

Now for today’s recipe ~ Enjoy!

Vidalia Onion Pie
Goes really great with a steak

2 pounds Vidalia onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 stick butter
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
1 -9 inch deep dish pie shell, uncooked
Grated smoked Gouda or pepper jack cheese to taste

Sauté the onions in butter until soft but not brown, set aside. Combine eggs, sour cream and seasonings until smooth. Fold in the onion mixture and pour into the pie shell. Sprinkle with cheese to lightly cover top. Cover edge of crust with foil to prevent burning. Remove the last 10 minutes.

Bake at 450 degrees F. about 18 minutes or until center is set. Let stand a few minutes before serving.

Note: Add a little seeded tomato, chopped cooked bacon, or broccoli florets with the onions for a varying taste.

Comments

  1. Well for me I have to skip this one although if I could eat onions this pie sure looks heavenly...my mom always said the vidala were fabulous and so sweet...she just loved them and would have loved this as well~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Drick. I've made vidalia jam, vidalia onion and potato crispy cakes, vidalia onion rings and who knows what else. I will definately be giving this a try. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vidalias really are the best. They should be considered a national treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no vidala here! and i like that addition of grated smoked cheese at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe, Drick! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine from Georgia shipped me a box of Vidalia onions and I wish I would have had this recipe! But I'll save it for the future in case I get another box of Vidalia onions, they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Vidalias in Seattle, but a I recall they were a bit on the pricey side. I'll have to look again. It would seem this dish wouldn't be the same without them. What a terrific dish for a brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pie! I would love to try these onion and will keep an eye out in some of the specialty stores maybe:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vidalia onions are great and also this dish. I never had them this way, but for sure would love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Onion Pie....wow...now if thats not something to write home about!!! You never cease to amaze me, things that I would never have thought of! I love vidalia's, I grill a big slice for my burgers when we have them, with that and a thick slice of Jersey tomatoes I can barely get it in my mouth!!
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm at a loss. this looks incredible. lots of onions, a pastry crust, and some cheese. what's not to fall in love with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not know those onions, but French style onion tart is my favorite savory tart. The only difference: we do not add eggs; instead, we top our tart with some black olives and anchovies (like pissaladiere). Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have all the Vidalia onions I could possibly want here in the Atlanta area right now. I will have to make lots of dishes including your pie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In complete adoration of this dish.

    I have three vidalias at home right now... they may just turn into this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts