Scramble Eggs, Peppers & Tortillas with Mexican Hash Browns

My kind of breakfast


Now if someone were to prepare breakfast for me, say for a lazy Saturday, a sleep-in Sunday or even heaven-for-sake Valentine's Day, this would be my request. I mean, I hope they would at least ask my preference.

I can not think of many platters of breakfast foods I would like better than a scramble of eggs seasoned with mild chiles and roused in harmony with tomatoes and cheese. This recipe is one I found a while back from one of Martha's mags and immediately liked the added crunch of the tortillas.

The fried potatoes are my version of everyone's favorite side and sweetened with sautéed bell peppers, green onions and seasoned with the smoky taste of chipotle and flavors of Mexican sausage.

Scramble Eggs with Peppers & Tortillas

about 4 servings

1/4 cup shortening, vegetable or olive oil
8 -5 inch corn tortillas, cut into odd, small shapes
1 poblano chile, seeded and diced
2 green onions, diced
3 small garden tomatoes or ripe Romas. diced
8 large eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo) or table salsa

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add tortillas, tossing to cook evenly until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.

Discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil and add pepper and onion. Toss to coat in oil and cook until tender and soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook until in starts to melt down a bit, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the eggs, tortillas and the cheese. Cook stirring constantly until eggs are set, about 3 minutes.

Serve with salsa fresca and Mexican Hash Browns


Mexican Hash Browns
 about 4 servings

1 link Chorizo or smoked sausage (10-inch), diced
2 baked potatoes, cut into small dice
Teaspoon flour
Seasonings: chipotle chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 x 1 inch pieces
3 green onions, diced

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and cook the sausage until brown stirring to cook evenly. Remove sausage to drain on paper towels.

Toss the potatoes with the seasonings and flour. Add enough oil to make about 1 tablespoon to the skillet. Toss in the onions and peppers and cook until onions are clear.

Toss in the potatoes and cook, not stirring until potatoes are brown on the underside. Yep, you will have to check with a spatula. Flip potato mixture over, sprinkle on the sausage and brown the other side. Do not stir while potatoes are cooking, something I tend to do, but trust me, just let them alone to reach a nice, gold brown color.

Remove skillet from heat and hold until plating or to a warm platter to serve tableside.

Comments

  1. love peppers with eggs this sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to wake up to a huge plate of these mexican hash browns...and the scrambled eggs oh these would be a hit in my house!!

    sweetlife
    have a great weekend, happy vday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is my kind of breakfast, too! Yummmm! You are making me want to get in the kitchen right now and whip this up and it's after midnight! Cheers cher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...that looks delicious, one I would love to cook and serve everyone. Love the crunch of the tortillas there...great idea. Love the Mexican taste, too...mmm. Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly the kind of breakfast I love on a lazy Sunday morning. Comforting eggs with lots and lots of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love hash browns. these fiery ones look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both the eggs and the hash browns sound delicious, any time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heck, I could eat that for dinner too We like to have breakfast for dinner once in awhile. Lookin' good, man!

    Thanks fpr all the nice comments you left about our dog Kobe. I was super upset but meds seem to be doing the trick for now. Costly little buggers, pets are, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is also my kind of breakfast! I grew up on migas and crave them all the time. Your Mexican hash browns, now that is something I must try. You are making me so hungry. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love eggs and hash browns in the morning, too. So worth getting up for! And yours looks to have a ton of flavor and seasoning...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That breakfast looks super good! I would eat that all the time if I could! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, now that is a breakfast! I don't eat eggs very often but when I do I want them just like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never thought of cooking tortillas, in my scrambled eggs. Normally I just add a little cheese or saute some onions and peppers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts