Baked Macaroni and Pimento Cheese

This here is some kind of good

We all have our favorite recipe for Macaroni and Cheese, I know I have several.  And one of our favorite summer foods for snacking with crackers, on celery, making sandwiches and using in between and on top of just about everything imaginable (think fried green tomato sandwiches) is our beloved pimento cheese spread. And I know for that we all have our favorite family recipe we bring out when company comes calling. Again, I have several. So that got me thinking....

This recipe is based on two family favorites; a creamy mac and cheese loaded with 3 types of cheese and a pimento cheese spread using roasted peppers. Enjoy!

Baked Macaroni and Pimento Cheese
my take on a new classic comfort dish

1 -8 oz elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash crack black pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated American or jack cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper, drained if from a jar

Preheat oven to 375. Cook macaroni according to package, drain and rinse with cold water.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly stir in the cream & milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheddar cheese, all of the American and Parmesan cheeses until smooth. Fold in the mayo. Mix the sauce with the macaroni and fold in the roasted red pepper. Pour into a greased oblong casserole dish or a round deep 2-quart dish for extra creaminess.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle remaining Cheddar on top and run under the broiler to brown the top.

Comments

  1. hmmm who can say no to this wonderful cheesey goodness give me a second helping please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds lovely, Drick. We are planning to move to Florida this summer, so I guess I will have to learn more Southern dishes, like Pimentos and Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love mac n cheese right! I'm with you on the three cheese idea and the peppers well they push it over the top for me Drick.

    Hubby does love his pimento cheese that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew's first birthday request from Mom was a batch of mac and cheese. Can you imagine? I make a batch of mac and cheese and skinnify it. Can't be done. Wish I had this recipe then.

    PS - I made a Martha Stewart recipe. I have some pride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful! This looks so good it may be illegal in some states... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, I love this. We used to get pimiento cheese at a little corner store and I would get in trouble because I would eat the stuff with a spoon ... And Drick - I would never say or think of your casseroles as trashy!! They are beautiful and homemade and thoughtful, not frozen from a box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fabulous...the perfect comfort food...and I love the addition of red peppers~

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that luscious melty cheese sends me into raptures. I love the idea of mixing it up and changing the cheeses - the jack made me think - pepper jack? And having it as an appetizer is the best idea - so there is room for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is comfort food epitomized, Drick. The addition of pimento cheese makes this version so special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow...nothing better than loads of cheese :) This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts