Mango Avocado Salsa, Beef & Chorizo Chalupas, Chipotle Marinade and Chili Pepper Marinade for Grilled Meats

chili chicken banana boats
Mexican Fiesta


Saturdays are always Mexican night around our house and lately we're been going out to eat rather than me doing what I love to do, which is making a good homemade meal that taste so much fresher than the foods sitting around on hotplates in restaurants. You know what I mean, how else can they get the food out so quickly, right? I mean, we sure can't. So I thought it was high time to get back in the saddle and ride wild... here's what I came up with... oh, and you can join in too...


...start off with a salsa made from delicate sweet ataulfo mangoes, plum tomatoes and ripe avocados. I use it as a dip like the recipe below and I also like to add it as a topping to many types of foods.


...almost bite size are the beef and chorizo topped chalupas, one of my favorite antojitos I like as an appetizer as well as part of a meal. Sometimes I make these canoe shaped but this time I did them traditional round as you will see below.

steak tacos with chipotle lime flavors
...grilled over fire or al carbon style,  the skirt steak tacos picture here with chipotle lime flavors bring a lot of bang for the buck and adds a great roasted aroma to the party. The steak marinated for 6 hours before flashed grilled for a total of about 5 minutes over a hot fire. I wrapped it in foil and later sliced it thin for these tacos which I also topped with a salsa fresca.

... not as spicy as it sounds, chili pepper marinated grilled chicken breasts are diced and added with a warm corn salsa before stuffed into sweet green banana peppers.  A good topping of cheese and a few minutes under the broiler makes for a fine presentation I think as in the top photo. Most times I use poblano peppers but the grocer was out. Any mild large pepper would do and this is one easy trick for another great tasting part of a Mexican platter.

...'bout the only thing needed as sides are maybe a bowl arroz rojo and frijoles.

Enjoy!

Mango Avocado Salsa
I also like to cut the mango and vegetables in larger pieces and serve this as a salad.

1 mango, peeled, seeded, cubed small
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 garlic glove, minced
1 tablespoon fresh limejuice
1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, seeded, peeled and diced

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the next 5 listings well and pour over the salsa. Cover and chill for at least an hour but no more than about 5. Stir in the avocado right before serving.

Beef & Chorizo Chalupas
little boats of fiesta fun, makes about 15

1/2 pound ground beef
3 links of chorizo
1/2 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon Mexican seasonings or to taste
refried beans (mashed pintos with seasonings, fried)
1 cup masa harina
1/2 shredded cheese
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons lard (shortening) melted
1 egg yolk, beaten
crumbled or shredded cheese
salsa fresca

In a skillet over medium high heat, add the ground beef, chorizo and onion breaking the meats apart as it cooks. When meats are brown and cooked through, remove and drain well.  Wipe out the skillet and return the meat mixture along with the refried beans. Stir together, season to taste and cover to keep warm
chalupa 'boats'

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet, put aside.

Combine flour, cheese, salt, baking powder in a bowl. In a mixer bowl, add the lard and the egg and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add half the flour mixture slowly and half of the water and add the remainder for a soft dough to take shape. Add a little water if needed to form a ball.

Divide dough into 15 balls with about a tablespoon of dough for each. Pat out each ball into almost a 3-inch circle on the greased pan and pinch the edges to form a rim around each. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until set and chalupas are lightly brown on the bottom.

Keep warm until ready to fill with the beef and chorizo filling. Top with a little cheese and fresh salsa.

Chipotle Marinade
add beef, chicken or pork to marinade for great smoky Mexican flavors
flank steak in chipotle marinade

2 tablespoons chipotle adobe sauce
4 garlic cloves
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
juice of 2 limes
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Place all in a blender or mini food processor and pulse to a sauce. Place meats in marinade for desired time.

Red Chili Marinade
use to marinate chicken, pork or seafood
chicken in red chili marinade

1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
juice of 1 lime, lemon or orange
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Stir together in a dish and marinate desired meats. I like to use orange for pork and fish, lime for beef, chicken and shrimp and lemon for just about anything.

Comments

  1. I love Mexican food and really like the idea of Saturday night being Mexican food night, now I'm thinking Friday night for Mexican night doesn't sound so bad either! Everything looks delicious here but after spending the day in my kitchen I'm ready for someone else to do the cooking;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am after your chipotle marinade! That sounds ammmmmmazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wanna come over for dinner! Have to try that mango salsa, adding this to my list of things I have to break into!
    One question about chorizo, did it almost melt? We sauted some last night, thinking it would crumble and hold its shape like a regular sausage but then it because this thick sauce that you can not even tell it is meat. I wonder if we did not choose right type or brand, or is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Drick, I just adore those Chalupa boats! They beat a crispy tortilla any day. And those chili chicken boats, well we are having those this weekend for sure! Perfect for Dad. He loves spicy and they are alot like individual casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pacheco Patty - I know what you mean... your Dorie Friday's are just great
    Kate@Diethood - hope you try it...nice flavor
    @Ilke - come on over... hope my message to you made sense although I do not know why it would melt away unless like I said, it contain high amount of fat...
    @Redkathy - ya know, after all said and done, I looked over these and knew these were really more like sopes rather than chalupas... but yes, they were very crispy and held up nicely with the filling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you're talkin' my language, cher! Next to Cajun, Mexican is my fave and all of these recipes sound over-the-top delish! Love that salsa and those chalupas and the marinades are fab! Thanks for the super recipes and have a great weekend! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you decided to cook and share this with us rather than going out :) Love all of it - esp. mango salsa, which I'll be using on some swordfish tonight. Hope you're having a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great marinade... I can use this on everything so versatile, also we love mexican food so these recipes are fabulous! these are a perfect alternative for us anytime other than Italian food! Thanks foodie friend hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, what a feast!!! I love the idea of changing your delicious salsa into a salad but making the pieces bigger! WONDERFUL! Happy long weekend to you~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so agree! These wonderful recipes made fresh and in your own kitchen are far better than the stuff you get out at a restaurant. I still have a few mangoes left from BlogHer Food, so you can guess what I might be making! ;) Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still waiting for my invitation to dinner! There are so many good things here, you've outdone yourself. Have a great holidy and I'm sharing a blogger award with you. Check it out on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh those marinades. You have no idea how inviting everything here is after 9 months of no barbecue and no grill. I think you're more of an expert on mango salsa than me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Drick - I would come to YOUR restaurant any day!! This looks like an amazing feast, I always love your Mexican dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Though it is fun to go out to eat, I would much rather have a meal like this. Sounds delicious, Drick!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm.....that salsa looks so good with the mango. Lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are the King of flavor my friend...always made to enhance and yet always so present! Gorgeous and succulent as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty nice post. I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such an amazing blog you have posted dear i like it and also suggesting it to my friends for visiting your blog because it has really admirable and informative data which provide us through your blog so i would like to thank you for sharing it with us and also appreciate you on this so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts