Hot Pepper Jelly


Sweet Hot...

This time of year, there are all kinds of things to keep us busy but one of the best I know is putting away the bounty from our summer's fruit and vegetable crops. Since I did not do any gardening this year, I can only thank my farmer's markets, produce stands and the generosity of neighbors. Mobile has an unusual climate, I mean, it is hot as Hades down here with a humidity level that is almost unbearable at times. I have often complained of not being able to grow tomatoes because of the hot, humid nights but one thing that does well is hot peppers, that is if you can keep them watered.

Here is one of the many ways I like to store them away. It is good on so many things, served with cream cheese as a spread, on roasted corn, grilled meats, mixed with BBQ sauce for a glaze, goes great with bacon & cheese on sandwiches, pairs really well with smoked salmon not to mention pork, veal and lamb . . . it is just a great all-purpose relish. How do you like to serve yours? Let me know and let me know how you like my version... Enjoy!

Hot Pepper Jelly

2 1/2 cups finely chopped red & green hot peppers
1 small sweet bell pepper finely chopped
1 1/2 cup white vinegar (5% acidity)
6 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon butter (this reduces foam)
6 oz Certo pouch (Sure-Jell fruit pectin)
1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional

Coarsely chop peppers with seeds and place in blender with vinegar, sugar and pulse to mix well. Transfer to pot, add butter and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Cook for 5 minutes at a steady boil. Quickly add Certo and coloring. Allow mixture to return to a boil and cook for 3 more minutes stirring a few times. Remove from heat and skim off any foam. Put into half pint jars and seal in water bath for 10 minutes. This should make about 7 jars with a little left over.

Note: This is also good adding a cup or so of chopped fresh cranberries along with a good handful of chopped pecans to the peppers. I would add another ounce of Certo to compensate for the cranberry moisture.

Comments

  1. A new one for me here... sounds awesome to try with lamb! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Drick, Wish I had the means and the patience to put up veggies, especially hot peppers! My grandma did faithfully. This recipe is one I know would enjoy. **sigh** Maybe someday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't be doing any canning for a long while yet, but I sure could use a few jars of that jelly on my shelves. I love hot pepper jelly on roasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mr. is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome and I would love this! It's way too hot for canning, here, but maybe you could mail me a few jars? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your peppers are gorgeous! Would love to have some of this jelly, bet it's amazingly good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what Drick! This is definitely something I wanted to try out one of these days. Thanks for sharing. Btw, if I'm replacing the pectin to citric acid. Is the propotion going to be the same?
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. @My Little Space, Kristy...no, no, they are not the same, pectin is a natural gel from stone fruits mainly, citrus acid will give a lemon, citrus flavor and is used to retard ripeness, not to thicken as in jelly... add pectin to fruits and vegetables that do not have a natural pectin content or that have been frozen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some banana peppers, jalepenos and something called cajun belle in my garden. I'm assuming these would work as well. If I decide to leave out the seeds will the jelly be a little milder? Pepper jelly is also good added to chili. I tasted some at a chili cookoff and it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so good!!! Gonna try this nex week, maybe to give as Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a friend gave me a jar of this when visiting the states. it was fantastic and great with a simple omelette.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goes extremely well with brie cheese on Ritz crackers...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think that this recipe could be sugar free by substituting either splenda or Truvia in place of the sugar? Anyone ever try it or has thoughts about that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous... hey, I almost didn't see your comment as 'Anonymous' goes to spam... but glad I did..
    Now I have never used Splenda in this recipe so I do not know. I have however cooked with Splenda many times, sometimes cutting it with pure sugar (sucrose) so to add a real sugar when I need it to thicken, but I have not cooked it to a jelly stage...of course, when doing so, I have to add an inverter like lemon juice or cream of tarter - now this is getting complicated ....
    Let me know how it works and if you use all Splenda or cut it with sucrose and/or frutose

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES! YES YES YES!!

    For several years, my husband and I have bought jars of this jelly (habanero) from a vendor at our local Fall Fair. We then ration it all summer long. Last year we bough a full case - 12 jars! and still had to work to make it last.

    I've spent SO much time trying to find a recipe that would be similar - and shazam! THIS IS IT!

    I've made one batch of this, tried it, and it's perfect. I can't wait to make more to share.

    Thank you thank you THANK YOU for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Making this as a Father's Day Gift for my Dad who LOVES this stuff (me too, of course.) I was so excited when I found your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome been looking for a simple recipe for this thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great recipe. My daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just made this!!! Awesome recipe!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you ever used ghost peppers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts