Boiling Green & Raw Peanuts, stove-top & slow cooker


Been missing all ya'll,
and my goobers...

For you folks stopping by to visit, I welcome you and hope you find something worthy of cooking. 
For my devoted followers, friends and family, I am on vacation and this is the reason you have not heard from me in a while. I am looking forward to getting back to our routine even though this post is prewritten, I know I am missing you guys...

Now, I mentioned my sister was in town visiting on my last recipe and while she was here, I intended to do so many things in the kitchen with her... funny how time flies. One thing we did do was boil some peanuts for them to take to the beach. They departed to Florida and we left for New Orleans. Now we did not heat the house up using the below method, instead we we did it in the slow cooker. Here's how, Enjoy!

This is how we do goobers!

Boiled Peanuts

Stove-top method
4 to 5 pounds green peanuts -unshelled
4 to 6 quarts water
Sea salt 

Wash peanuts thoroughly under cold water until water runs clear; then soak in cool water for 30 minutes.  Drain and place in a large pot, and cover completely with water.  Add 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water.  Cook covered on high heat for 4 hours.  Taste for firmness and add salt if needed.  Continue cooking until the peanuts reach desired texture.  Remove from heat and if not salty enough, let set for an hour or so.  Drain peanuts and let cool before refrigerating. 
If green peanuts are not in season, use raw unshelled peanuts in bags found in the produce section.  An alternate choice but when boiled will produce goobers just as good.   

Slow Cooker method
green peanuts, enough to fill up the crock-pot -unshelled
Hot water to cover
Sea salt 

Wash peanuts thoroughly under cold water until water runs clear; then soak in cool water for 30 minutes.  Drain and place in a large pot, and cover completely with hot, boiling water.  Add 1/4 cup of salt per gallon of water.  Cook covered on low heat for 12 hours. Stir, refill with hot water, cover and cook on low another 12 hours. Do this for two days (48 hrs) for the best boiled peanuts ever.

If you don't have 2 days, cook on high heat for 4 hours, then reduced heat to low, stir and add more hot water if needed and cook overnight or about 10 hours. Let set for an hour or so to soak in all the seasoned water. This later method will produce a firmer goober.

Note: For flavor - Add a quartered onion (my favorite), a bottle of Trappey’s hot sauce or whole jalapeño peppers for a little heat; spice them up by adding Cajun Seasoning and cayenne or spicy shrimp boil and red pepper flakes.

Comments

  1. Boiled peanuts are my dad's favourites. Well, mine too. I hope you are enjoying a wonderful time on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having a good time and thanks for leaving us a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dad loves boiled peanuts! thank you for sharing, enjoy your vaction !! have a great friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Drick, you remind me of my young days. My parents used to plant lots of peanuts (we call groundnuts). We also boil like what you do. We would dry the leftovers under the sun and enjoyed eating together every evening as a family. The flavour of the peanuts became better each day until all was gone. They are just SO good. Hope you have a lovely day and have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen or heard of boiled peanuts before, but the slow cooked and spicy sound right up my alley :)
    I hope you are having a fantastic vacation...stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts