Vidalia Corn Stuffed Tomato Salad

This time, I think they got it right...

Sweet Home Alabama, the reality series now airing on CMT, is not what I would consider your average matchmaking TV show, at least not at all like the Bachelor or Batchelorette.  In my somewhat biased opinion, it far exceeds what I like in this class of shows, I mean, I actually like this one, I actually can sit and watch it and feel good about the folks on it.

Like I said, I may be a bit biased. You see, it was filmed right in my backyard, well, right across Mobile Bay in Point Clear at Amanda and Robbie Bacon's bay house which will never be the same after being overrun by these high testosterone young men. The show showcases the sights and attractions of land and water in our area that we take for granted and the tone is touted as country redneck boys vs city slickers, all about courting a southern gal in the heat of the summer. And things do get hot, one chap actually leaves because of the high heat (temperature).


Now what does this have to do with today's recipe? Well, as it turns out, back in June, while filming the show, there was a corn shucking contest but it might not make it into the show, we'll just have to see. A neighbors daughter worked on the show (afterwards, she departed to California for another show) and at the end of the day, croaker sacks of unhusked silver king corn were left over. I was a lucky recipient of some of it.  Thank you very much! We have enjoyed it very much and at the time I posted Fresh Corn Tomato Pie, the rest I blanched and put in the freezer.

As for the show, I highly recommend it as it shows our southern hospitality as well as giving  the audience a glimpse into our locale. Catch up with it, new episodes air on Thursdays. I ask you to watch the video teaser here. Now, as for the salad, well, they should have asked me about a few things; it is guaranteed to cool things down a bit. Enjoy!

Vidalia Corn Stuffed Tomato Salad
serves 2 and the best part ~ you get to eat the bowl

2 large tomatoes
2 ears white sweet corn, blanched
1/4 cup chopped vidalia onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced green or red bell bepper
salt and black pepper to taste
1 slice crispy cooked thick bacon, minced
2 heaping tablespoons buttermilk ranch dressing
Pepper jack cheese, optional

Core and remove seeds from the tomatoes forming a wide opening. Use a serrated melon spoon for best results.
Remove the kernels from the cob into a medium boil. Add the chopped onion, celery, minced bell pepper and add salt, pepper to taste.
Add the bacon and buttermilk dressing. Mix together and stuff tomatoes with the mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Sprinkle the tops with cheese if desired.

Note: Add a teaspoon of dressing in the bottom of the tomato or on top, and let me tell you, the tomato and corn salad is a mighty fine combination.

Comments

  1. I wish I can watch that show and know about your place. but right now I am more interested in your stuffed tomatoes. It's just so funny. Kristi also posted about stuffed tomatoes. Was it planned??? :D These would look so impressive at parties. Thanks very much for sharing and hope you have a great day! Keep smiling! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so amazing!!! This is a must for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, just what I need - another reality show to get addicted to! lol. Well, why not? Lucky you with that corn - this is a superb use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe the only ingredient I'm lacking is the bacon! And I can't imagine making this without it. But it looks so, so good and I have 2 dozen beautiful tomatoes from the garden to use up. I may just have to make a special trip to the store thanks to you. Thanks, Drick. this looks awesome.

    How cool is it that you got corn from a tv show? I think that's way more awesome (and more practical) than an autograph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sure made me smile~ love this tomato stuffed looks good~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making your stuffed tomatoes, I'm going to add goat cheese to the ranch to go California style,lol! These will be great with grilled steak, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the only one I now who could get corn from a tv show! lol These tomatoes look over-the-top GOOD, and you know I'm going to try them! Love em! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun and who better to get the extra corn than you! You know exactly how to make the best use of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these look (and sound) amazing!!! I have a version from my mom that I love...but I'm adding fresh sweet corn kernals next time. Great idea~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering how you were going to tie things together--the tv show and recipe! I have some stuffed tomatoes coming up next week, but nothing nearly as fancy as this. Great summer lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tomato look fanatic...nice meal for hot summer days. Will try and check out the show, not much for reality tv but I trust ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think the pepper jack cheese it optional but rather a must! Love the idea of a buttermilk dressing too. As for CMT series, they always seem to be a good watch. I'll have to catch this one, thanks for the heads up and the great recipe Drick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts