Ground Beef Tacos

Update on my
Taco Seasoning Mix

Well folks, I think I have finally settled on the ingredients I've been working on for a few years in making a taco seasoning mix. Some folks would say I am crazy, why make your own, why the extra expense especially when you can get a pack for less than a dollar. Well, there you go, you get what you pay for my friends and until I really starting tinkering with this one, I thought the best one out there came in a yellow package, still do as for store bought. But this is the one going down as my recipe.

A few of you wanted an update when I thought I got it right so here it is. I first published a version last October for Taco Salad and have since revised that recipe too. This time, I am using it to make another favorite. Here is the recipe on how I prepare the meat sauce for tacos, a little different from before. Now if you use anything other than extra lean beef, cook the beef first and drain off the fat, otherwise follow the recipe for some of the best taco meat I know made from ground beef. Enjoy!



Tacos with Ground Beef

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
Taco Seasoning Mix -see below
1/2 cup tomato sauce (4 oz)
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
1 teaspoon cider vinegar, crazy I know but it works
Taco shells
Ranch style beans, refried beans or my Frijoles Charros
Shredded lettuce
Mexican Blend cheese, grated cheddar and/or Monterey jack cheese
Chopped tomato
Chopped onions
Smashed avocado

Other toppers:
Sliced black olives
Pickled jalapeno slices
Picante sauce or salsa
Cheese sauce
Sour cream or Ranch dressing

Heat the oil in a large skillet until hot but not smoking. Add in the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes.  Add the spice mix and stir. Add the beef and cook lifting up from the bottom and breaking the meat up. Cook about 5 minutes until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth and vinegar. Simmer on medium low uncovered for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick enough to hold together but not dry. Check and add additional salt if needed. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.

Warm the taco shells in the oven.

Assemble tacos with meat sauce followed with any combination of beans, grated cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado and any of the other toppings of choice.


Taco Seasoning Mix
my take on Old Paso Taco Seasoning

1 tablespoon Maize corn flour or AP flour
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt -adjust for recipe
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon annato powder -optional
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix together in a bowl thoroughly before using.

For Ground Beef Tacos: After browning 1 pound of ground beef, add taco mix along with 1/2 cup beef broth and 1/2 cup tomato sauce; bring to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer. Cook about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until thickened. Or use my mouth-watering recipe like I make for the tacos above.

For Chicken or Steak Tacos: Sprinkle meat with seasoning. Sear with a little oil in a hot pan, grill or broil until desired doneness. Let rest a few minutes before slicing in thin strips.

Comments

  1. Hey I'm glad I found this blog. I'll pass it on to some of the locals I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Havent made these in a long time. Mexican is my second favorite. I now am craving these after seeing these great photo's reminded me that I need to make some spicy taco's... these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly "you get what you pay for!" these are perfect football food, my girls love tacos!!
    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious. I love mixing my own spices. i have three that i just about have around all the time. So, I understand the urges. Have to confess, i tried making a taco mix once and was just not happy. besides, I use it so rarely that I just could not justify the cost and time vrs the yellow.

    Will hang on to this for when i plan the big taco event

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely make this, sounds perfect. I like mixing my own blends too, love to control what goes into it. I don't usually make ground beef tacos, but it works for ground pork or ground chicken too! Bookmarked:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'll take a home made spice mix over store bought every day. That is, unless you have silicon dioxide and ethoxyquin in your version. (Those two things are in the Old El Paso version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These tacos look so delicious and your seasoning is fab! I've been looking for a good taco seasoning for a long time. Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Drick,
    thanks so much for your comment. I was so happy to know that you've the taco seasoning recipe here and I'm copying down the whole page. I'm going to try out the seasoning soon. Some other blogger is sending me the taco shells! So, I'm sure it going to be great. Big ((hugs))! Thanks again for your sincerity & thoughtful acknowledgement. I am truly appreciate it. You're such a super guru!
    Hope everything is well on your side and have a fantastic day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in south Texas, and I love tacos. Those sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic taco seasoning! My sons love tacos and usually go for ground beef...they would love these, and they look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts