Grandiose Potato Roast

When a name says it all...

There are times when you bring a side dish to the table and if you are lucky, you might hear a few ahs and oohs, maybe a favorable comment to change the conversation from the horrors of our day. If you are lucky, a really nice follow up of 'hurry, say grace and let's eat' is nice.

Impressive and down right delicious, this is one dish I will not take credit for, at least not in idea as I first saw it posted on Pinterest. I chased down the recipe and of course, made my usual changes to accommodate our taste plus made a change up in prep and added a few lacking ingredients for taste; all were obvious oversights I am sure... oh well, poor Martha can't be everywhere. You can put this one in the category of 'somewhat new recipe with a much better name'.

Enjoy!

Grandiose Potato Roast 
4 servings

2 large shallots
2 green onions
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon no-salt Creole seasoning
dash of celery salt
several grinds of black pepper
2 garlic toes, minced
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
3 large baking potatoes, flat and long works best
Peel and slice the shallots thinly. Slice green onions, separating green and white parts. Put all aside.

Peel the potatoes and slice as thin as you can, about 1/8-inch thick. Put aside.

In a medium bowl, add the butter and olive oil and mix together. Stir in the creole seasoning, celery salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and lemon juice. Carefully toss in the potatoes taking care not to break the slices.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray, or butter the bottom and sides. Arrange the potato slices vertically in a randomly gathered order in the baking dish. (Meaning large slices mingled with small pieces.) Place the shallots and the white part of the green onions in between the potato slices distributing throughout. Reserve remaining oil mixture in bowl.

Bake for about 75 minutes.

Reheat the oil and butter mixture if needed in the microwave and toss in the green onion tops. Sprinkle this mixture on top of the potatoes and brush with remaining oil/butter mixture. Bake another 20 minutes or until the top is nice and brown with a crisp finished appearance.

Comments

  1. Well these are sure flavorful and look fantastic too. These must smell wonderful while cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this. It's a huge hasselback, no? Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made these twice and both times I had them in the oven at too high a temperature and they looked beautiful but were crunchy. I'm going to make them again until I learn my new oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wife has made this, it turned out delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be the side for my roasted chicken today. What an impressive dish. Thank you Drick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, beautiful dish of roasted potatoes, I can imagine this was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if this would work with sweet potatoes? I bet they'd be good with creole seasoning. I'd use russet, but don't have any on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow drick, those potatoes are GORGEOUS!! They will be perfect for Easter dinner this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh goodness, these potaoes look amazing. I would gladly dine on a huge plate with a cold beer!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha...now I am chasing you down for the recipe after I saw the picture, Drick...haha. That picture just looks too good to pass. I have never seen a nicer potato dish. I don't eat a lot of potatoes but I would love to try this one. I can make this for parties. Looks quite simple to make. Just what I like. Thanks very much for sharing. I hope you are having lots of fun there. Winter is going to be over soon...yipppeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lord, how I love potatoes. These are beautiful with their crisped, browned edges. Just the sort of thing I like. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my oh my oh my. You have named this one right for sure. Forget about a side dish, I could eat this for my main course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I was reading this, I just kept thinking what nice flavors you put into this. It's a gorgeous presentation for plain potatoes. Nice to see them livened up a bit. I certainly would be anxious to dig in if you put that in front of me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a great way to bake potatoes - they look & sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I could eat this all day long...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just can't spend my whole day here, but every recipe looks and sound fantastic and I have to go see what else you have stored.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts