Helluva Spinach Casserole

It's one Helluva Casserole

The name has nothing to do with the brand of dairy products. I gave it that name because of the taste: slight heat and awesomeness.

Momma made a casserole similar to this one, and when company came a'calling, she would add chopped cooked eggs to make it 'extra-special'. How many of you remember that? Back to a time when adding nuts, water chestnuts and other thingies made side-dishes fancy. Maybe it was small town living, maybe occurring in the south, I dunno, but I suspect all mothers did it.

This recipe results in a stiff, firm casserole meaning it sets up solid yet it still remains moist with a creamy texture. Cut it into squares if you like and dollop each serving with a smidgen of diced tomatoes or pimento. Whoa, that is my kind of eating and one craving for good eats! I halved the recipe to test it out but I cannot wait to make this again as I wrote it when company comes a'calling. Enjoy!

Helluva Spinach Casserole
6 to 8 servings

2 -10 oz packages frozen chopped spinach
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon Adobo seasoning or Season-All
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) melted margarine
1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup french fried jalapeno strips

Cook the spinach according to package directions (I use the microwave version) and drain. Squeeze spinach between several layers of paper towels to remove the moisture.

In a bowl, mix the eggs, cottage cheese and Adobo seasoning (or All-Seasoning) together. Mix in the spinach and then the melted margarine. Fold in the cheddar cheese.


Spoon mixture into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes or until center is set. Top with the fried jalapenos and bake another 5 to 10 minutes to brown.

Note: If you cannot find french fried jalapeno strips, the onion variety would be another option.

Comments

  1. I have never had a warm spinach dip cant wait to try it! Love your game day additions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoy cheesy spinach dishes and I like the fried jalapeno topping idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy I wish I could find those french fried jalapeños. I could probably find about 600 uses for them. And yes, I do remember those toppings to make things fancy. I grew up in a very small town. This recipe sounds wonderful Drick. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts