Tomato & Spinach Pie

Yummy!

Big ol' juicy tomatoes from the farmers market need a good home and I found one for them in this pie, a rendition of my Tomato Pie we enjoy from time to time.

Like many good summer vegetables, we get to enjoy fresh tomatoes only a short time around here, I mean, real fresh from the vine right from the farm, right slap-dab from Mobile county. It won't be too long from now and the vines will start to fade away from the heat which means tomatoes from non-local, foreign soils, which means storage which means not so fresh.

So while the gettin' is good, I'm enjoying fresh tomatoes the best I can. I had so many on this day, I made two pies, one for us and one for a neighbor. Sorry the rest of you missed out but I hope you try this one as we think it is really good. Enjoy!


Tomato and Spinach Pie
for a single pie

2 large ripe fresh tomatoes, sliced thin
Salt
1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 garlic pod, minced
Good dash of Creole seasoning
Baked pie crust for single pie
1 -10 oz package frozen cream spinach
black pepper
Grated pepper jack cheese

Salt the tomatoes and let rest on paper towels for an hour or more to remove excess liquid. Tomatoes need to be very dry.

Sauté the onions in the butter over medium heat, sprinkle with the sugar and cook until caramelized. Stir in the garlic toward the end of cooking.

Defrost the spinach in the microwave cooking on medium high for a minute or two. Remove spinach from cryovac package and add to the onions. Let simmer to reduce liquid and seasoning with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Blot the tomatoes with paper towels to remove excess liquid and salt. Place a spoon full of spinach mixture in the baked shell along the side and top with a tomato. Continue around the shell and finish filling in the middle.

Lightly sprinkle cheese over the pie. Cover edges of pie crust with foil to protect from burning. Bake for 30 minutes or until set and top is brown. Turn broiler on if needed to brown the cheese.

Note: You can omit the frozen cream spinach by making your own, or use torn fresh spinach wilted down a bit and mix with a little mayo that is just as good.

Comments

  1. Do you know that I have never made a tomato pie? I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm fixing to correct it. I've got a whole basket full of fresh, dead ripe tomatoes that my Mama brought me last weekend and they're just begging to be put into a pie like this. Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Lana; I've never made a tomato pie and now I'm wondering what's wrong with me. I love every single thing you've put in here.

    From "foreign soils," are you inferring that anywhere but Mobile County is foreign? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally talking to me!!! We have some beee-uuu-ti-ful Maryland tomatoes right about now. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yum. The pie looks beautiful. I've never made a tomato pie and I wonder why... This is going in my to-cook list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a tomato pie before, but you make it look so tempting Drick! Definitely know what I'm going to do with my tomatoes once they ripen =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was sooo good!!! I am glad you post it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Drick, your tomato Pie is a beauty! I'm waiting for my tomatoes to ripen and I will be following in your footsteps with a tomato pie of my own;-)
    Thanks for your recipe and inspiration, just wish I could have a small sliver of pie right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I am going to make this today. I have never tried a tomato pie either, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like tomato pie recipes. Thanks for sharing this one : ) I'm new to your page...found it thru our friend Marguerite @ Cajun Delights. Looking forward to more yummy recipes. Feel free to drop by my page for some good 'ol S. TX cookin' : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy is right! Love those pictures the colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'venever made one either!! Ok, this looks like a perfect summery dish that belongs on my patio. Creamed spinach would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some gorgeous tomatoes, Drick! And I can imagine the taste of this pie must be something amazing. A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so have to try this! Gorgeous recipe and dish all around...sorry your tomato season is so short, wish I could share from my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious and I hope to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He drick, I just posted what i did to your recipe... I used this to top a quiche and it was AMAZING!!!

    http://erecipecards.blogspot.com/2011/08/tomato-and-spinach-pie-over-quiche-ala.html

    Also look over what I did, let me know if you want anything added or changed on the "Bloggers on the Move" page

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this! I used your recipe yesterday. I added some liquid smoke and chopped bacon to make it BLT pie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts