Beef Teriyaki Tenderloins

 Mock this...

You may have overlooked a well-kept secret. Several years ago, the National Cattleman's Beef Association developed, well actually came up with a name, the portion of this shoulder cut from the chuck area.  Beef Shoulder Filet or Petite Tender Cut, however you call it, is a tender and very inexpensive cut of meat. Because it works well with marinades and cooks so tender, mock tenderloin could well be another name, and the best part, this costs about eight-dollars verses about twenty-eight for the real Châteaubriand.

Taking a cue from Cook's Illustrated and doing a reversal, this is one of my favorite ways to serve tenderloin or in this case, mock. Heck, it is a better cooking method for sure and my marinade is just so darn tasty with beef, at least we think so.
We use it on steaks all the time so it only makes sense to treat a nice cut of fillet with equal respect. Notice very little grey margins on the outside, that's because of the searing at the end, not the beginning. Tender and slightly pink throughout, that's because of a slow temp oven.

Now don't think teriyaki will overpower the taste of beef; if at all, it enhances the flavor with a slight underlying Japanese steak-house taste that does beef so right. Enjoy!

Beef Teriyaki Fillets, Tenderloin or Châteaubriand


1 -3 to 4 pound beef shoulder fillet, cut into serving size portions or  1 -2 to 3 pound center-cut beef tenderloin roast (also known as Châteaubriand), left whole and tied together
Marinade for Teriyaki Garlic Steak, click for full recipe
Olive oil

for the marinade:
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon prepared minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
good dash of cayenne
3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Place tenderloin portions in glass dish, pour marinade over and massage to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let set out for 1 hour.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Pat tenderloin dry. Place 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil in a shallow bowl and roll each roast section to coat in oil. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and immediately reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Place a cast iron skillet next to or on the bottom rack of the roasting pan to heat and cook until thermometer inserted diagonally into center of meat registers 115 degrees F at the average thickest part of each fillet or 125 for a larger tenderloin.

Immediately remove skillet and place on stove over medium high heat. Add just enough oil to coat bottom of skillet. Remove roast and sear all sides of each tenderloin to evenly brown the outside to form a nice crust. The inside will remain nice and pink for medium-rare, between 130 - 135 degrees F.

We enjoyed this with Buttery New Potatoes with Parsley and Piquant Creole Asparagus.

NOTE: Serve with a horseradish sauce; about equal parts of mayo and horseradish, a shake of Worcestershire and a sprinkle of pepper will do just fine.

Comments

  1. It's always amazed me how cooking on a slow over will make this meat fall apart this looks fabulous as I know it is if your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post, it sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it! Do you think marinating longer would be okay? Overnight perhaps! Thanks again, love your website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all the recipes I bookmark from your site. I could cook for a complete month. This one is added, thanks amigo!!

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious... i am wondering, i have only done the reverse searing once. For me, didn;t care for it. I like the presentation of the gradually deepening of the red as you get to the center (but I am a presentation whore sometimes).I also like the texture of the different layers of flavors from well done crust to the rare center.

    OR... Am I just an old fart that resists change???

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone, and for Dave, I have only just acquainted myself with your humor, therefore I will only comment on presentation - this is for folks who enjoy a perfectly cooked, medium to medium rare loin, the whole shebang... when you come to my table, now I know how to cook yours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks perfect...so good...so special, my birthday is coming up will you make this for me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly prepared! Did I ever mention you make the most wonderful marinades out there? :) Well and of course your rubs...
    Now even though I do not eat meat, you know I do love perfection in all processes of cooking and this works for me :)
    Hope you are having a great week Drick...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing & I love anything with Teriyaki!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...that looks so delicious beef, wanna to try it soon, thanks for share

    farida
    http://kitchensuperfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy, I like the mixture of your sauce. Sounds really tasty delicious. I'm going to try this out too. I bet my kids will love it.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts